USS Avocet (AVP-4) Crew Looks For Attacking Japanese Planes

Gunners on board USS Avocet (AVP-4) look for more Japanese planes, at about the time the air raid ended. Photographed from atop a building at Naval Air Station Ford Island, looking toward the Navy Yard. USS Nevada (BB-36) is at right, with her bow afire. Beyond her is the burning USS Shaw (DD-373). Smoke at left comes from the destroyers Cassin (DD-372) and Downes (DD-375), ablaze in Drydock Number One, forward of USS Pennsylvania (BB-38). The After Action report for Avocet was submitted by Lieutenant William C. Johnson, Jr., her commanding officer: "At about 0745 [Hours] Sunday morning, December 7, 1941 the U.S.S. Avocet was moored at berth Fox One Affirm, Naval Air Station Dock, in Pearl Harbor. A bomb explosion was heard and Japanese planes were sighted attacking the hangers on Ford Island. General Quarters were sounded and fire was opened about 0752 [Hours] with both 3"/50 caliber anti-aircraft guns. The first shot from the starboard gun hit a Japanese plane which had turned away after torpedoing the U.S.S. California. This plane burst into flames and crashed near the Naval Hospital. Fire was continued as rapidly as possible through this and subsequent attacks. Fuse settings from 2.5 to 5 seconds were used but no other known hits were obtained. The Avocet fired 144 rounds of 3"/50 caliber [76 mm] ammunition and about 1,750 rounds of .30 caliber [7.62 mm]. During the dive bombing attack on the Nevada the Avocet was firing at the attacking planes and high altitude bombers dropped bombs which landed in the center of berth Fox Two. These bombs did not explode; muddy water was seen to bubble up in four pools where they landed. There was no damage on board. There were no serious injuries. One man was wounded slightly in the forearm by a spent bullet. The conduct of the officers and men was exemplary throughout. The gun crews worked the guns deliberately and with apparent total disregard for their own safety. The engineering departments reported ready to get underway fifteen minutes after General Quarters were sounded."
Caption Written By: 
Jason McDonald
National Archives and Records Ad
Archival Identifier: 
Date Photographed: 
Sunday, December 7, 1941
Pearl Harbor
United States of America