Panzerkampfwagen IV ausf E (Sdkfz 161) crew poses during the Balkans campaign (Operation 25). The ausf E was manufactured by Krupp-Gruson from September 1940 to April 1941. The panzer is attached to the 11th Panzer Division, XIV Panzer Corps (commanded by General der Infanterie Gustav von Wietersheim), 1st Panzer Group under Generaloberst (General) Ewald von Kleist. It was the first version that featured Gepack Kasten (turret-mounted storage bins), which increased the amount of gear available to the tank crew. Spare parts, food, water, blankets, bridging supplies, and more were packed into these containers for sustained combat. 11th Panzer crossed into Yugoslavia at Pirot on April 8, 1941, leading the German attack. They took Nis on April 9 and entered Belgrade on April 13, hoisting the Swastika that night.
Photographer's Rank or Affiliation:
Doctor und Kriegsberichter
Caption ©2007 MFA Productions LLC
Please Do Not Duplicate or Distribute Without Permission